Mixing Paint

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mixing Paint

Post  Guest on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:28 pm

Since starting back in the hobby a couple of years ago I have been in search of a container that works well for mixing paint and thinner, and even having thinner on the work bench easily accessible.

I searched art supply stores, tried several different plastic cups only to find one thinner or another would react badly to the container.

I tried the glass jars for bottom feed air brushes but found the mouth to narrow for my fat fingers when trying to clean them out.

The other day putting away the dishes I saw something in my cabinet and it hit me like a ton of bricks!

There before me was my set of Pyrex mixing bowls. These things range in size from about 3 oz to 8 oz, I have a set of 4. Started using them the other day and haven't run into any problems. Of course you have to be careful not to knock it over on your bench but that's the case with all our stuff right?

And the beauty of it, My Bride will not miss them because I do the cooking anyway! Wink

Thought I'd share and ask what do you guys use?

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixing Paint

Post  sharkmouth on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:44 pm

The aforementioned glass mixing bottles of the type used with airbrushes and an ultrasonic cleaner filled with Simple Green (full strength) with a few drops of Dawn (grease cutting dish washing liquid) plus about 2 ounces of Windex...

No issues with my fat fingers and the results are better than if I could put my entire hand in the bottle to scrub.

Regards,

Last edited by sharkmouth on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : need to learn to proof-read)

sharkmouth
General
General

Location Location : The mountains of South East New York

http://www.track-link.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:25 pm

sharkmouth wrote:
No issues with my fat fingers and the results are better than I I could put my entire hand in the bottle to scrub.

Regards,

I think we have the source of my problems then... Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  JKnaus on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:38 am

A few years back while I was in the pharmacy I asked our pharmacist if I could buy pill bottles. When I explained why she said sure. So she got me a box of 500 snap top pill bottles for $30.00. Lasted me 4 years. I just bought another box. The nice thing is I can keep a paint mix for the duration of the build and then dispose of the bottle after I'm done. No fuss no muss. I mix acrylics or enamels with no problems and it doesn't contaminate the paint jar because I no longer poor the paint back.
James

JKnaus
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Cold Lake, AB, Canada

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Letterman on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:54 am

Well,

I have always used old 35mm film containers. When I was at VLS all those years, we processed thousands of rolls of 35mm film. That, of course stopped, when the digital age dawned, but, I still have hundreds of those in my workshop. They are awesome, but I'm afraid they are also an endangered species.

Bob

Bob Letterman
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Troy, Missouri USA

http://bob@bobletterman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:58 am

Hey, forgot to update y'all on this. Found some Shot Glasses, two ounce and they have graduated marks on it for good mixing and measuring. Got three of them and clean up is so easy!

Back to top Go down

Post  Belg on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:31 am

Folks, I'm a real nube to this type of modeling and wonder can we store oilbased paints that have been thinned in these pill containers? If they can how long will they keep in them? Thanks Pat

Belg
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : New Jersey USA

Back to top Go down

Post  John T on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi Pat, oil based paints will contain solvents which can affect some plastics. They may be okay, AK Interactive washes are enamels and they come in plastic bottles. Little glass jars with metal lids are best I think, provided they make a good seal.

Some enamels don't last long, and it's hard to figure why. When I'm using a lot of enamels, the bottles never seem to last but solidify when they are only half used. Model Master paints seem particularly bad, where as I've had humbrols which were untouched for over ten years and found them still good.

Cheers
JT

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Townsville, Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  Belg on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:28 pm

JT, thanks buddy some good info. Have you ever taken the time to mix your own washes? Pat

Belg
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : New Jersey USA

Back to top Go down

Post  John T on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:48 am

Yes Pat, I usually mix my own washes, but with oil paints. If you see page 4 of this blog there's some info about weathering and the way I usually do washes:
http://tanksandthings.niceboard.org/t3677p45-kv-2-bashed

Ready made washes do make it easier if you're new at it though. If you've already got some enamels, I can't see why you couldn't mix your own wash. Just do a practice piece first to be safe.

Cheers
JT

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Townsville, Australia

Back to top Go down

Pyrex mixing bowls

Post  oldthudman on Thu May 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Pyrex mixing bowls are called "Prep Bowls" Smile .................Saw a set of 4 (IIRC) a Kroger for about $8.xxUSD....

I use mainly Testors Thinner...Pricey at $8.xx at Hobby Lobby.........I found enamels will harden when thinned with lacquer thinner after several month in storage........

I do miss my old Dio-Sol...Sad

oldthudman
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : Houston,Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:04 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top