Joses Build: Marder III H (Tristar)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Joses Build: Marder III H (Tristar)

Post  Jose A. Azorin on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:21 pm

I have decide to choose this model:

The kit looks great in the box and I'll build it OOTB.

Happy modelling
Jose

Jose A. Azorin
General
General

Location Location : Zaragoza (Spain)

Back to top Go down

Re: Joses Build: Marder III H (Tristar)

Post  Jose A. Azorin on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Hello,
I'm terribily sorry for my absence but I'm always very busy and I have very few time for posting. But here I'm. This is my first opinion on the model.
The kit comes in a little box but when you open it you find a lot of parts: 13 sprues with plastic parts (3 of them for workable tracks), 2 sprues with clear plastic parts and a complete photo etched sheet. The decals are also very complete with markings for 8 different vehicles:
1. Pz.Jg.Abt.1 LAH, Kharkow, Winter 1942/43. Panzer grey with winter camouflage.
2. 29.Pz.Gr.Div., Italy, Summer 1944. Three tones camouflage.
3. Pz.Jg.Abt. 171, 71.Inf.Div., Italy 1943. Three tones camouflage.
4. Pz.Jg.Abt. 171, 71.Inf.Div., Italy 1943. Three tones camouflage.
5. Unknown Pz.Jg.Abt., Eastern Front, Spring 1944. Three tones camouflage.
6. 23.Pz.Div., Eastern Front, 1944. Dark yellow.
7. Training Vehicle. Panzer grey with winter camouflage.
8. 2.Pz.Jg.Abt.39, 21.Pz.Div., Tunisia 1943. Desert yellow with olive green spots.
I recommended you the Perth Military Modelling site for the excellent revision of the kit: http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/tristar/tri35030.htm
The first thing I decided when I’m going to build a model is its setting. I use to choose a time picture that inspired me for the building, painting and setting of the model. If it is possible I try a version offered in the decal sheet, but this not conditioned me for the choice. This time I have none doubt: I love the Kharkow battle, and I think this model will be very nice colored in a Panzer grey with a faded and weathered white winter camouflage. The decal sheet offers the wellknown #28 from LAH:

Although the #27 is more interesting and I try to get a “7” to do it.

Anyway, the most important thing will be to get a nice weathered camouflage.
I studied the instructions sheet and I realize the kit is superb, very well moulded and detailed. The assembly stage will be long. Besides currently I’m finishing the painting of a Sturmtiger for “Elements in combat #3 – Tigers and Variants, Vol. 1” (I hope to post some pictures today or tomorrow), the building of a Tiger II Henschel Latest Production (for the Vol. 2)

and the painting of a Russian KV for “Painting and Displaying Military Models, Part 2”

but I couldn’t wait to start this project for this nice GB so I start its building cutting and cleaning the track links meanwhile… in T.V. Rafa Nadal won Australia Open!!! Very Happy The match started at 09:15 a.m. Spanish time and there was a temperature of -4º (24.80 F). It’s winter here and we have a hourly difference of 10 hours. Those days Australia had… 40º or more (104.00 F or more)!
Well, back to the model. After instructions sheet it needs 93 links per track, so I assemblied 16 sets of 10 links and 2 sets of 12 links. When I need the tracks, I’ll assembly these sets and with the last link I’ll close the track. The links have a crispy detail and they are workable although they are very fragile so you have to be very careful with them.

This is all for now. My assembly will be slow, so I ask you for a bit of patience with me Embarassed

Happy modelling
Jose

Jose A. Azorin
General
General

Back to top Go down

Looks very nice Jose

Post  Jenny Ryan on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:19 am

Hey Jose , do you know what has happened to the muzzle brake of the Marder you are modelling ? It looks like it has copped a hit to it ?

I am eager to see your work with this , Very Happy maybe we can swap weather too ! Very Happy

Jenny flower

Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Tristar MarderIII H

Post  G Cooper on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:53 am

This is going to be real good to watch. Also I am very interested in the MG34 mounted? on the second photo, number 27 ? Cool

G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Location Location : Yuma, Az.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jose A. Azorin on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:17 am

Jenny Croft wrote:Hey Jose , do you know what has happened to the muzzle brake of the Marder you are modelling ? It looks like it has copped a hit to it ?

I am eager to see your work with this , Very Happy maybe we can swap weather too ! Very Happy

Jenny flower

Hi Jenny,
Of the Marder? If you refer to the muzzle brake of the King Tiger, I'm building the March Production version and the idea is setting it in a Berlin' street at mid-end of April like it had been sent to fight before its assembly in the factory had finished: hull in red primer, turret in dark yellow without camouflage, gun barrel in grey primer without muzzle brake... and so.
With regard to the weather, if you like skiing you are invited to my house in the mountains (Ritchie too, of course Very Happy ). There is a lot of snow this year.

Happy modelling
Jose

Jose A. Azorin
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  Jose A. Azorin on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:22 am

G Cooper wrote:This is going to be real good to watch. Also I am very interested in the MG34 mounted? on the second photo, number 27 ? Cool

Yes, it's an interesting question. I suppose this is a field improvisation, so I'll try to see the mount in a picture but the logic says it seems the mount was welded to the roof of the superstructure. If I see it in a picture I share it in the forum, don't worry.

Happy modelling
Jose

Jose A. Azorin
General
General

Back to top Go down

Hi Jose

Post  Richie on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:36 am

Jose ,

I am pretty sure I have seen the MG mount attached to the canvas hoop , will try & find a picture for you .

Looking forward to seeing the build !

Richie

Richie
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jose A. Azorin on Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:29 pm

Richie wrote:Jose ,

I am pretty sure I have seen the MG mount attached to the canvas hoop , will try & find a picture for you .

Richie

It would be very appreciated. Thank you very much, Ritchie!
With regard to the building, I'll build it very slowly until I finish the King Tiger, then I'll work quickly.

Jose A. Azorin
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  Tancred on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Jose,

This will be a very interesting build, very neat work on the tracks. Maybe when you have the time you can give us some tips on how you take such excellent photos.

Tancred

Tancred
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Malta

http://www.ipmsmalta.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Noel-Petroni on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:46 pm

You're building all those in one go!? You are busy! Very Happy

Look forward to see more of your stuff

Regards
Noel

Noel-Petroni
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian Yap on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:15 am

Hola Jose,

Nice to see you're building this kit also. I'm building mine and yes; the construction will take longer than usual.

PS. I still owe you an article write-up on my Flammpanzer 38. Will contact you soon as possible once its near completion.

Cheers
Julian

Julian Yap
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

http://hoolyahn.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Richie on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:10 am

Jose A. Azorin wrote:
Richie wrote:Jose ,

Richie

It would be very appreciated. Thank you very much, Ritchie!
With regard to the building, I'll build it very slowly until I finish the King Tiger, then I'll work quickly.

Jose ,

Sorry for the late reply with the information , I presumed I had seen the pictures in Nuts & Bolts 18 but having searched through the book again & again , I was beginning to think I had imagined seeing it ! Very Happy

I finally found some pictures in "Marder III & Grille" by MBI publishers !

This mentions that it is mounted to the canvas hoop but the caption names it as an MG 42 where it is clearly an MG 34 !

The close up photo which I thought was the hoop of a Marder IIIH was a Marder IIIM , I am thinking that it would be a unit based practice , I imagine & I believe the top photo supports my opinion that they may use a MG rail mount similar to what is used on motorcycle sidecars .

I hope this helps Jose

Richie

Richie
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jose A. Azorin on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi Richie,
Thank you very much for the pictures. I knew the last and it is a Marder III M. Its bar is thicker than Marder III H, this way I also think they use the mount of a sidecar or so.

THANKS AGAIN, Richie

Jose A. Azorin
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  alex on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:11 pm

dont keep us waiting for long
we eagerly await your work
alex

alex
Tank Commander
Tank Commander

Location Location : MALTA

Back to top Go down

I have started the assembly... at last!

Post  Jose A. Azorin on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:00 pm

Hello:
As I said I need a lot of time to build a model, but I have started with this kit. The Tristar's Marder III H is a really impressive kit. A lot of parts, nicely moulded and detailed. You have to study very well the construction of such a model to make the painting of the interior easier. This way I have assemblied a lot of parts without glued them together:

The interior is full detailed but I have saved time and I don´t build the trnasmission because it will be invisible once finished the model and it is going to my spare box.

The model is plenty of details, like the clear parts for visors:

or the rear bracket for the gun carriage:

The fit is almost perfect and putty is required only in a couple of gaps. I also have textured the exahust pipe with liquid glue:

This long weekend I hope to build the gun and the wheels, leaving the mudguards, boxes and tools for the end.

Jose A. Azorin
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  Kreighshoer on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm

oh nice, nice, nice, nice, nice - jose started! cheers

awesome pic quality and what a clean build! this will be awesome looking when painted, that i'm sure of! Very Happy

Kreighshoer
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Tarok on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi Jose,

I've just bought this kit (a panicked purchase when I thought Tristar had closed Laughing ), so I'll be following your progress with great interest.

A bit off-topic, but when will Painting and Displaying Military Models, Part 2 be available?

Rudi Smile

Tarok
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ryan on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:36 pm

bounce bounce bounce bounce HOORAY !!!!! bounce bounce bounce bounce

I really have been looking forward to your build of this Jose Very Happy , It is a great start you have made !

Jenny flower

Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Noel-Petroni on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:18 pm

Good start!

I like the clean build and very clear photos!

It really looks like a nicely detailed kit......... in fact....... I'll buy the Tristar not the Dragon!

Regards
Noel

Noel-Petroni
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  Jose A. Azorin on Tue May 05, 2009 11:42 am

Thank you. I will try a quick assembly to start with the painting as soon as possible. I have built the gun and the wheels this long week-end, but I have forgotten the model in my mountains house and I can post pictures until next week. Anyway, the gun is nicely detailed although the gun barrel is a single plastic part with the muzzle brake in two parts. This is the only fault of the gun although Tristar gives the possibility to replace the muzzle brake for another covered with a canvas. Anyway I have used the aluminium barrel from the Dragon's 234/4 and I choose the early plastic muzzle brake to replace the Tristar's ones (I used the superb detailed set from Lion Roar when I built it and the metallic barrel and the three options for the muzzle brake were in my spare box). I'll post the pictures next week.
With regard to the second part of "Painting and Displaying..." it will be published at the end of the year (October or December).

Jose A. Azorin
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  Jose A. Azorin on Wed May 13, 2009 11:15 am

Well, I didn't forget my Marder this weekend and I have taken new photos. These are of the gun. The gun barrel and the muzzle brake are from Dragon. The gun is nicely detailed and looks great:

The shield of the gun has four pin marks. They will be barely visible but it's better to fill with putty, then sand them. The port for sight is detailed with P.E.

And the gun and shield assemblied:

This last weekend I worked the wheels. The are suberb and the rubber is a single part to easy the painting job. It's a olimpic picture Cool :

Also I detailed the interior of the superstructure. Like all the kit, the level of details is higher. The sights are clear parts attached with a P.E. part. You can choose the position raised or not.

Finally, it starts to look like a model:

This weekend I expect to finish the last details of the hull, then I built the mudguards and their tools and spare boxes. The painting is near.

Happy modelling
Jose

Jose A. Azorin
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  Kreighshoer on Wed May 13, 2009 11:19 am

SUPER progress jose! cheers

phantastic build on a phantastic kit! i'm anxious to see the finished model! bounce

Kreighshoer
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ryan on Wed May 13, 2009 11:52 am

Excellent work Jose , I have been in awe of your Sturmtiger in your new book and now I have another to watch! Very Happy

I will watch with anticipation !

Jenny flower

Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Noel-Petroni on Thu May 14, 2009 12:25 am

Now this is a sweet little tank!

Advancing at a steady pace!

I really like your photography! Very good and clear pictures!

Regards
Noel

Noel-Petroni
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Marchand on Fri May 15, 2009 4:28 am

Nice work Jose.

How's the kit feeling? I have it in the stash but afraid to start it with all those little parts and massive amount of PE affraid

Richard Marchand
General
General

Location Location : Quebec, Canada

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:44 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top