Need help with Pin Washes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need help with Pin Washes

Post  tigertanktoo on Fri May 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Can anyone give me a good step by step example on how to do "pin washes". I'm not really sure I know how it's done. Thanks to everyone who helps out. Later tomaters.

Chris in Iraq.

tigertanktoo
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Newport News, Virginia

http://army.togetherweserved.com/profile/137560

Back to top Go down

Re: Need help with Pin Washes

Post  G Cooper on Sat May 02, 2009 12:00 am

There are probably several ways they are done by other modellers, so; this is how I do them.
They are really quite simple. with the paint job complete, and the model " dry " (no wash or thinner still wet on the kit ) simply mix up a paint/thinner mix like a regular wash. I usually do about 1-50 mix or so( you can make it darker or lighter to suit your taste) . Then I use a fine liner brush (usually a 0000), dip it in the mix, and touch it to whatever detail you want to have the shadow effect.I would suggest the lighter or thinner wash mix, as you can always go back and add more, while it's difficult to lighten one that is to dark. You can use it on bolts, screwheads,panel lines,etc etc. If you use it sparingly you can get a nice shadow effect without the worry of having the tide effect from a regular wash.

If you do get the tide effect Mad , simply let it dry for a an hour or so. Where it is dry, but not really set. Then using a clean wide brush dipped in straight thinner, go over the areas affected lightly scrubbing until you have removed the color you don't want, leaving it where you do.

I hope you can understand this, and I hope it helps. Very Happy

Cool

G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Location Location : Yuma, Az.

Back to top Go down

Post  tigertanktoo on Sat May 02, 2009 6:06 am

It's a good start. Thanks Cooper. I'll be giving it a try soon after I get back from vacation. Later tomater.

Chris in Iraq.

tigertanktoo
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Newport News, Virginia

http://army.togetherweserved.com/profile/137560

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwidave4 on Sat May 02, 2009 7:14 am

Just to add to G Coopers comments;- if you do the wash with a different type of paint to the base coat,- ie I use enamels to paint my models, and then I wash with acrylics, - the thinner in the wash does not affect the base coat.

A gloss finish can help to make the wash follow contours/panel lines, so you may consider a gloss coat prior to washing. Personally I dont bother on armour but I have noticed the difference when working on a glossy wingy thingy.

The old rule of a little at a time is best. You may find that your first wash 'disappears' as it dries. Just keep applying more until you get the effect you desire.

Good luck!

Regards Dave

Kiwidave4
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : New Zealand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:00 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top